Should I Send a 2A??

    Posted by MAIA on Jul 1, 2019 12:01:00 AM


    This question was answered based upon current rules, regulations & statutes in effect on May 17, 2019

    I have a strange situation and don’t know how or if I do a BU2A for it.

    The insured's mother has a leased vehicle that the daughter took over.  The leasing company obviously is the plates "owner" so to speak & has agreed to the change over.  They are sending a POA to them to get it done.  The daughter will be keeping the same plates on the car as the "owner" of the plates has not changed.

    The daughter is getting her own policy with our agency for this vehicle.  Her mother has a policy with another agency for the same vehicle.

    Do I send a 2A to the mothers agency with the daughter's name on it or do I send it in Mary's name if at all?

    In my 28 years in this business this situation is a first for me - I am so confused. 

    Please let me know.

    Thank you.


    Irene Morrill:  I would send a 2A and LPR signed by mother to mothers agency so they can cancel policy   The plate is issued to leading company but isn’t it in the mothers custody so she can get  insurance ?  

    Sending this to Kathy Cormier CPPL Member Relations Advocate and MAIA RMV expert 


    Kathy Cormier:  If you send a 2A in the daughters name the prior agent should not accept it.  You can’t really send a 2A in the mothers name as this is not your customer.  Once the daughter has the vehicle switched to her name, the prior carrier can see that the lessee has changed to the daughter.  The plate stays the same as it belongs to the leasing company.

    The mother should also be able to show the documentation that she received from the leasing company allowing the reassignment to the daughter.

     I hope this helps.

    Agent:  Thank you very much Kathy & Irene.  I appreciate all your help.  I hope you both have a great weekend.

    This document is not a legal opinion and should not be relied upon as such. The intent of this document is to provide a general background regarding the topic or topics discussed, not to provide legal advice. Producers and agencies should consult an attorney regarding specific situations and specific questions with respect to the topic or topics covered in this document. Neither the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents, Number One Insurance Agency nor any of its employees shall be responsible for any errors or omissions regarding any statements made in this document, nor any errors or omissions regarding any statutes, regulations, court rules, and/or any other government documents cited in this document.

    Topics: Personal, 2019

    Keep Reading!

    Previous Post Massachusetts HO Policy
    Next Post Resident Benefit Package


    *Denotes required field.