Bus Conversion to Camper

    Posted by MAIA on Jul 8, 2019, 12:01:00 AM


    This question was answered based upon current rules, regulations & statutes in effect on May 16, 2019

    I cannot find the requirements needed to register a bus into a camper.

    I have had no luck finding that information.


    Irene Morrill:  I have no clue so I’m sending this to Kathy Cormier, CPPL, Member relations Advocate MAIA and our RMV expert


    Kathy Cormier:  Is this a yellow school bus?  If yes, they need to paint the bus a different color, they need to remove the stop side arm and they need to remove/black out the flashing lights at the top of the bus.
    As far as I’m aware, there is no inspection by the RMV required.
    I hope this helps.

    Agent:  He wants to get it registered as an auto home. 

    Kathy Cormier:  You can only get an Auto/Home if there is permanent living facilities such as a sink and toilet.  If theses were added and they cannot be removed that that should work.

    This document is not a legal opinion and should not be relied upon as such. The intent of this document is to provide a general background regarding the topic or topics discussed, not to provide legal advice. Producers and agencies should consult an attorney regarding specific situations and specific questions with respect to the topic or topics covered in this document. Neither the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents, Number One Insurance Agency nor any of its employees shall be responsible for any errors or omissions regarding any statements made in this document, nor any errors or omissions regarding any statutes, regulations, court rules, and/or any other government documents cited in this document.

    Topics: Registry, 2019

    Keep Reading!

    Previous Post Rate Comparison with Other States
    Next Post Umbrella Quoting with MVR Information


    *Denotes required field.