Surviving Spouse Transfers

    Posted by MAIA on Sep 6, 2019 12:01:00 AM


    This question was answered based upon current rules, regulations & statutes in effect on July 24, 2019

    We were not able to transfer either a MCN or TRN plate with the appropriate SS and RMV 1. We were told that only autos and trucks can be done with surviving spouse. Is that accurate?


    Kathy Cormier:  Only a passenger vehicle can be transferred using a surviving spouse affidavit.  When you use the affidavit, the SS is not charged a title fee.  You can use the affidavit to show that the spouse passed, but any vehicle other than a passenger vehicle would be subject to the title fee.

    I hope this helps.

     This document is not a legal opinion and should not be relied upon as such. The intent of this document is to provide a general background regarding the topic or topics discussed, not to provide legal advice. Producers and agencies should consult an attorney regarding specific situations and specific questions with respect to the topic or topics covered in this document. Neither the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents, Number One Insurance Agency nor any of its employees shall be responsible for any errors or omissions regarding any statements made in this document, nor any errors or omissions regarding any statutes, regulations, court rules, and/or any other government documents cited in this document.

    Topics: Registry, 2019

    Keep Reading!

    Previous Post Non-Payment and Collection of Unearned Premium
    Next Post MAP or BAP


    *Denotes required field.