A new 11/2019 Driver’s Manual (English version) is now in the RMV warehouse and will soon be distributed to all RMV Service Centers. It is already available on the RMV website (www.mass.gov/rmv). The new version has a burgundy cover that features an image of cars driving down a country road.
Changes Made to the Manual
Many minor changes were made to the manual. The more substantial changes are as follows:
- A note was added to the Being Prepared for the Road Test section of Chapter One about new road test videos that are available on our website.
- In the Safe Distances Around Your Car section of Chapter Three, the “two-second rule” was changed to the “three-second rule”.
- The Road Work and the Construction and Maintenance Road Work Warnings sections of Chapter Four were replaced with a more comprehensive Roadway Construction/Maintenance (Work Zones) section that was provided by the Highway Division.
- The General Guidelines if you are Stopped by a Police Officer section of Chapter Five was revised and expanded to more closely match the AAMVA guidelines.
- Throughout Chapter Six, the name of the RMV-1 was changed to the new Registration and Title Application.
- The Registration Lawful Presence Requirement section of Chapter Six was revised to reflect the new policies and it was renamed to ID Requirements for Registration.
- A new Temporary Plates section was added to Chapter Six about the new temporary paper plates that are now issued for certain plate types.
- The Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Registration section of Chapter Six was updated to indicate that we now issue moped plates and registration certificates.
- The Salvage Inspections section of Chapter Six was revised to reflect the new process for scheduling salvage inspections.
For additional Registry of Motor Vehicle questions,
please contact Kathy Cormier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-742-6363.
This article has been developed expressly for the members of MAIA. Reprint by other than members without the express permissions of the author is not permitted.