RMV: Limited Term Licenses

    Posted by MAIA on April 9, 2018

    Do you have customers that have a Massachusetts X or A license number?

    Typically, a person has up to one (1) year to drive in the United States on a valid foreign license as long as they are from one the following countries as listed in in Appendix A of the Massachusetts Driver’s Manual

    These countries were part of the 1949 Road Traffic Convention and the 1943 Inter-American Automotive Traffic Conventions.

    My Client Will be in the US Longer than (1) Year

    If your client is in the U.S. on a valid foreign license for more than 12 months, they may qualify for a Limited Term License.  In order to do so, they must be from one of the countries listed in Appendix A and provide proof of lawful presence in the United States. 

    When issued, the Massachusetts credential will be valid for the individual's authorized length of stay in the U.S. This means that the expiration date for most non-U.S. citizens will not match their birth date but instead will expire on the same date as their authorized stay in the United States expires.

     For additional questions ...

    Please contact Kathy Cormier at kcormier@massagent.com or 800-742-6363. 


     For additional Registry of Motor Vehicle questions, 
    please contact Kathy Cormier at kcormier@massagent.com or 800-742-6363. 

    This article has been developed expressly for the members of MAIA. Reprint by other than members without the express permissions of the author is not permitted.


    Thank You Partners 2017.jpg

    Topics: Registry News

    Keep Reading!

    Previous Publication WC News: Notice of DOI Hearing
    Next Publication Phone Upgrade at MAIA Thursday & Friday, April 12 & 13


    *Denotes required field.