RMV: REAL ID Answers to common questions about the new document requirements.

    Posted by MAIA on May 16, 2018

    The RMV has recently published an updated ask/answer article concerning some of the common questions about the new documentation requirements for driver's licenses, ID cards, and learner's permits.


    What if my name is different from the name that appears on my documents?

    If your current name doesn’t match the one that appears on your lawful presence document(s), you must prove your legal name change with an acceptable document in order to qualify for a REAL ID credential. A marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document all qualify. However, if the names don’t match, you can still get a Standard ID or driver's license.


    Can a laminated Social Security card be accepted? What about other laminated documents?

    No. Laminated Social Security cards are not acceptable for a REAL ID credential. If you have a valid SSN and other required documents, you can get a Standard driver’s license or ID. Customers with a laminated Social Security card that want a REAL ID can order a replacement Social Security card through the Social Security Administration website.

    The RMV does not accepted laminated documents to meet any of the new lawful presence or other identification requirements. 


    Why won't my passport verify?

    Some U.S. passports are not immediately verifying through the U.S. Passport Verification Service, the outside service we use for document verification. The RMV is working on a resolution with our service provider. We have seen this happen to a very small percentage of customers since we began verification using this new service.

    You may use your certified U.S. birth certificate as an alternate document or we can work with you to escalate this issue in a process that may take approximately two weeks to confirm verification. 

    What versions of a U.S. birth certificate can the RMV accept?

    We are able to accept a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate regardless of shape and size (“short-form,” “long-form,” and “card” versions) as long as it is stamped with a raised seal of the issuing agency of the document. The issuing agency can be the city, town, or the Vital Records Office for the state where you were born. We do not accept hospital-issued birth certificates.

    Check out the RMV Page on New Document Requirements 

    To get or renew any driver's license, ID card, or learner's permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. GET READY online before visiting an RMV Service Center or AAA branch (if you are a member).

    *Shared from the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles

     For additional Registry of Motor Vehicle questions, 
    please contact Kathy Cormier at kcormier@massagent.com or 800-742-6363. 

    This article has been developed expressly for the members of MAIA. Reprint by other than members without the express permissions of the author is not permitted.


    Thank You Partners 2017.jpg

    Topics: Registry News

    Keep Reading!

    Previous Publication MAIA's Digital Campaign is Back in Action
    Next Publication RMV: What You (and your commercial clients) Should Know about the Driver Verification System (DVS) Program


    *Denotes required field.