Starting Monday, August 3rd, a new Registration Drop Off Center (previously known as a B2B) will pilot in the Braintree Service Center. Registration Drop Off Centers will then open in the following additional service center locations beginning Monday, August 10th:
Note: On August 10th, the new Registration Drop Off Center in Taunton will replace the B2B currently in Attleboro. Commercial customers can continue to drop off transactions in Attleboro until Friday, August 7th. Then, beginning Monday, August 10th, drop offs must go to Taunton.
What is a Registration Drop Off Center?
A Registration Drop Off Center is an RMV Service Center dedicated exclusively to drop off registration transactions. This includes both commercial/business transactions and individual transactions. Anticipated turnaround time for completion of drop-off transactions is within 4 business days.
Because of the Covid-19 pandemic and limited RMV locations and services offered, demand for registration transactions has increased. Registration Drop Off Centers will allow the RMV to service a larger number of customers. This includes casual sales, campers, trailers, and motorcycles for customers who would like to get their vehicle on the road at the earliest time, rather than wait for an appointment.
Customers who don't want to use a Registration Drop Off Center can still choose to schedule appointments for certain registration and title transactions. Appointments are available online up to 14 days in advance.
Transactions Processed at Drop Off Centers
The following transactions can be done by individuals or commercial customers:
- Register and title a vehicle
- Transfer a plate to a new vehicle
- Reinstate a registration
- Apply for a registration only
- Transfer a plate between two vehicles
- Register a previously titled vehicle
- Transfer a vehicle to a surviving spouse
- Registration amendments
- Plate cancellations
Note: Registration renewals will still be done exclusively online or by mail for individuals.
Process for Commercial Customers
The process and requirements for commercial customers will be the same as at the existing B2B locations. Runners must drop off their bundles with a B2B Cover Sheet. When the transactions are complete, they will be sent an email to make payment. Once payment has been received, they will be sent another email instructing them to come pick up their plates/registrations. The average turnaround time will be 4 days.
Process for Individual Customers
Individual customers may visit Registration Drop Off Centers between 9:00am and 4:00pm without an appointment following the process below:
- Customer visits Drop Off Center with their completed Registration and Title Application (RTA) and supporting documents, if applicable.
- The RMV advocate in the Drop Off Center will review the paperwork and determine if it is correct and accurate.
- The customer will fill out a Registration Drop Off Center Form which includes the customer’s name, email, and phone number.
- The transaction will be processed in the order received.
- Once the transaction is completed, the customer will receive a call or email from the Drop Off Center indicating their transaction is complete and they are ready to pay online using the electronic initiated payment process.
- The customer returns to the Drop Off Center to retrieve their plates and/or registration. The average turnaround time will be 4 days.
Note: Registration Drop Off Center customers will NOT be allowed to wait in the service center for their transactions to be processed.
Registration Drop Off Centers (pdf of the information listed above)
Registration Drop Off Center Information Sheet (1-page overview)
Registration Drop Off Center Form (cover sheet for use when dropping off transactions)
PLEASE NOTE: While accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication, information is constantly changing! For the latest information, please check the RMV's official webpage: RMV COVID-19 RESOURCE PAGE
For Registry-related questions, you may also contact MAIA's Member Relations Advocate, Kathy Cormier, at email@example.com or 508-634-7353.